I am a firm believer in hands-on play time and letting kids get dirty. Around here we spend as much time outdoors as possible exploring and imagining. I have a 3 year old boy so we do a lot of playing with dirt, mud, rocks and trucks. My son also loves helping me hands-on in the kitchen, which is a different mind of mess. We love making these healthier, easy no-bake cookies that we like to call “Mudpies” for a fun dirt-themed treat that is refined sugar-free and dairy-free!
Every day (weather permitting) we have “outdoor” time. In the Spring and Fall outdoor time could last all day! In the Summer it’s usually in the morning when it’s cooler. Getting outside is important for my sanity as well as our health. We get physical exercise, soak up some vitamin D, and explore our world.
Currently my son’s favorite outdoor activity has been driving his John Deere Deluxe Lightening Wheels Tractor ALL over our property! We received this awesome monster tread tractor from TOMY toys and it has been a huge hit with my son. I love how well built it is. The monster tread wheels are huge and can really handle the rocks, dirt and bumpy terrain my son drives it over.
The John Deere Deluxe Lightening Wheels Tractor features bright color changing lights (seen better indoors) and tractor engine sounds that are motion activated. It’s huge monster-wheels light up and change color as your child pushes the tractor around. My son loves the sounds this tractor makes and I appreciate that the sounds is really not too loud or irritating, making it a good toy for indoor play as well! The recommended age is 3+ and this tough little tractor would be an exciting gift for any little boy who loves trucks, tractors and big machines.
After our outdoor playtime in the dirt and rocks we eat lunch, take a nap and have indoor play time after nap time. We like doing arts and crafts or baking together for indoor time. These easy no-bake cookies are delicious and simple enough that kids can easily help make them. I make them using honey and coconut oil so there are no refined sugars in these dairy-free cookies.
Mudpies ~ Easy No-Bake Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup honey ( I like to use about 1/2 cup, use more if you’d like it sweeter)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (you could also use butter)
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups rolled oats
1. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Over Medium heat combine and stir first 3 ingredients until well melted and fully combined. Or if making with your kids, let them pour and mix the ingredients into your pot before you heat!
3. Remove from heat and whisk in coco powder, salt and vanilla until no clumps remain.
4. Mix in the rolled oats until all are well coated.
5. Spoon mixture onto baking sheets making your “mudpies” the size you like. Freeze until set. Store in air tight container in your fridge or freezer.
While you wait for your cookies to harden race your John Deere Deluxe Lightening Wheels Tractor and definitely don’t forget to lick the spoon!
Karen and her husband of 7 years have one active but very sweet toddler boy and a happy baby girl. She loves being mommy, spending quality time with friends and family, traveling and trying new things.